This Programme promotes various character strengths through well-designed activities like “Dialogue on Character”, “Retreat Day”, “Extensive Reading Scheme”, “Workshop on Value Clarification”, “Day Camp on Leadership Training”, “Farming cum Hiking”, “Course on Compassionate Communication” and “Remoulding Camp”. It aims to enhance the self-awareness and positive value of students, so as to promote healthy development of the community and the world. The Programme specifically hopes to help participants respect others, treasure humanity’s shared environment, be perseverant to cope with adversity, embrace passion to serve the needy, and possess a global outlook to address the world’s complicated issues.
I·CARE Achievers Programme “Get Around Hong Kong” Running Team Member Recruitment (Additional quota for postgraduate students)
The I·CARE Achievers Programme is now recruiting members for the “Get Around Hong Kong” Running Team. Members of the team will practise running together at weekends to build exercise habits. Are you ready with your running shoes?
Mr. Tam Chi-keung, the coach of the running team, will share his experience and techniques of marathon running with members and accompany them to practise running while admiring the local scenery. Mr. Tam will also reveal the keys to a fulfilling life and recount his anecdotes to inspire members to strengthen their body and mind, thus bringing positive changes to life.
Details of the programme are as follows:
Introductory cum trial session
Content : Programme introduction, coach’s sharing, ice-breaking games, team formation and a trial of running
Date : 4 March 2023 (Saturday)
Time : 2:30 pm
Assembly point : Room 502, Wong Foo Yuan Building
Team running sessions (6 sessions)
Date: 11, 18, 25 March; 1, 15, 22 April 2023 (Saturday)
Time: 2:30 pm
Assembly point: An outdoor location (varies at each session)
Mr. Tam Chi-keung – Former Social Worker of the Social Welfare Department (specialising in youth services, family services, social rehabilitation services for persons in mental recovery and prevention of domestic violence); former Fieldwork Supervisor of the Department of Social Work of the Hong Kong Shue Yan University; former hospital social worker.
With great passion in running, Mr. Tam is committed to contributing his interest to social welfare after retirement. In 2015, he planned a 40-day “A Little Run around Taiwan for Charity” and ran nearly 1,000 kilometers in Taiwan to raise fund for cancer patients. He also launched “A Little Run around Hong Kong for Charity” and “A Little Run around Hong Kong-Macau for Charity” afterwards.
In addition to serving as a voluntary mentor and running coach for the elderly on a continual basis, Mr. Tam attends sharing activities at various institutions and organisations to promote running to the public. He has written a book titled “60 歲的 1000 公里：一位退休社工的小小環台慈善跑”.
1. All full-time undergraduate and postgraduate, regardless of programme and year of study
2. Able to communicate in Cantonese
3. Interested in running and marathon training (including those without exercise habits or marathon experience)
4. Priority will be given to those who are able to attend the interview, the introductory cum trial session, and all running sessions
Particulars of Recruitment
Quota : 10 - 20
Fee : Free of charge
Details and registration : Please visit here
Deadline : 20 February 2023 (Monday) 11:59pm
Remarks : Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend an interview on 24 or 27 February 2023
Sharing Session on Social Enterprise cum Muay Thai Trial Class under I·CARE Achievers Programme
The I·CARE Achievers Programme is going to roll out the Sharing Session on Social Enterprise cum Muay Thai Trial Class. Participants will visit the gym studio of a social enterprise Elite (SE) Limited* to learn about how it addresses social problems and maximises profits to sustain its business in tandem. Besides, they will join the Muay Thai trial class to experience shaping their mind, body and soul through sports, and interact with the coaches during the sharing session to understand how they offer support to the Muay Thai learners with different needs to improve their lives. This activity is expected to deepen the participants’ understanding of some character strengths including bravery, zest, self-regulation and kindness. Details are as follows:
Date : 6 January 2023 (Friday)
Time : 2:00 - 5:30 pm
Venue : Gym studio of Elite (SE) Limited (Sheung Wan)
Speaker : Mr. Eden Wong, Co-founder and Head Coach of Elite (SE) Limited
1. Introductory session of social enterprise (30 minutes): The speaker will briefly introduce the story and operation of this social enterprise and their past social innovation projects.
2. Muay Thai trial class (90 minutes): Participants will acquire basic skills of Muay Thai and have fun under the professional guidance of certified coaches (training items, such as dynamic stretching, empty boxing exercises, punching sandbags and two-person sparring, may vary depending on the actual situation)
3. Sharing and exchange session (60 minutes): The coaches will share their experiences on the social innovation projects, training strategies and interesting stories (e.g. how they encourage at-risk youths to build self-confidence and social network, and how they support children with special education needs to enhance their body coordination and balance via learning Muay Thai).
Target : All full-time undergraduate and postgraduate students
Language : Cantonese
Quota : 12
Fee : Free of charge
Deposit : HK$200 (will be fully refunded upon attendance on the event day)
Registration : Please click here
Deadline : 31 December 2022 (Saturday)
1. The Muay Thai trial class is designed for beginners and involves some moderate-intensity exercises. Students should take their general body condition into consideration before registration.
2. Successful applicants will receive a confirmation email by 2 January 2023 (Monday) advising the arrangements of deposit settlement and activity details.
* Elite (SE) Limited is the first social enterprise in Hong Kong that mainly provides Muay Thai training service. It helps the at-risk youths and other vulnerable groups to develop a positive mindset and healthy lifestyle through Muay Thai and provision of job opportunities, so as to give full play to their strengths and talents. Other services include, for example, leading their students to offer free Muay Thai lessons to the youths with mood problems or with special education needs, members from low-income families and the elderly, as well as organising charity competitions.
Workshop on “Understanding Peace and Conflict” under I·CARE Achievers Programme
The Workshop on “Understanding Peace and Conflict” will be held under the I·CARE Achievers Programme to offer support to participants on communication and dealing with daily conflicts, which are beneficial to leading to a peaceful life. Participants will examine the concepts of peace and conflict, understand mutual emotions and needs, and learn how to analyse and respond to conflicts.
This workshop has engaged Peace Generation as the trainer, and is open to full-time CUHK students. Details are as follows:
Date: 24 October 2022 (Monday)
Time: 2:00 - 4:30 pm
Venue: Room 502, Wong Foo Yuan Building
Basic concepts - understanding peace and conflict, as well as peace studies
Conflict analysis - emotions and needs in conflict; conflict analysing tools
Conflict handling - conflict management, resolution and transformation
Fee: Free of charge
Deposit: HK$50 (refunded upon attendance on the event day)
Registration: Please click here
Deadline: 11:59 pm of 16 October 2022 (Sunday)
Remarks: Confirmation email will be sent to successful applicants on or before
17 October 2022 (Monday)
Miss Wong of I·CARE Centre for Whole-person Development
Tel: 3943 1595